By Jack David Eller
• sacrifice (both animal and human);
• self-mortification (including self-injury, asceticism, and martyrdom);
• spiritual persecution (from anti-Semitic pogroms to witchhunts);
• ethno-religious clash (including such hotspots as Sri Lanka, Northern eire, and the previous Yugoslavia);
• non secular wars (from the traditional Hebrews’ wars and the Christian Crusades to Islamic jihad and Hindu righteous wars);
• and spiritual murder and abuse (spousal abuse, genital mutilation, and "dowry death," between different manifestations).
In the ultimate bankruptcy, "Religion and Nonviolence," the writer examines nonviolent and low-conflict societies and considers a variety of equipment of handling clash.
This booklet is going far towards aiding us comprehend the character of violence in general, its complex connections with faith, and the way society sooner or later may possibly keep away from being blindsided via the worst features of human nature.
Read or Download Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History PDF
Best violence in society books
Within the years after the 1st international battle either Ulster and top Silesia observed violent conflicts over self-determination. The violence in top Silesia used to be extra extreme either within the numbers killed and within the varieties it took. Acts of violation akin to rape or mutilation have been notably extra universal in higher Silesia than in Ulster.
A compelling examine latest advanced courting among faith and politics In his moment publication, bestselling writer Charles Kimball addresses the pressing international challenge of the interaction among fundamentalist Abrahamic religions and politics and strikes past symptoms (the topic of his first e-book) to the damaging and deadly results that their interplay can produce.
Powered through a riding beat, smart lyrics, and assertive attitudes, rap song and hip hop tradition have engrossed American adolescence because the mid-1980s. even supposing the 1st rappers have been African american citizens, rap and hip hop tradition speedy unfold to different ethnic teams who've additional their very own cultural components to the tune.
«Chiunque abbia avuto occasione di riflettere sulla storia e sulla politica» osserva Hannah Arendt «non può non essere consapevole dell’enorme ruolo che l. a. violenza ha sempre svolto negli affari umani. » In questo breve, densissimo saggio l. a. Arendt dà ragione della sua affermazione ripercorrendo i fatti storici degli anni Sessanta sullo sfondo di tutto il Ventesimo secolo.
- War and the Crisis of Youth in Sierra Leone (The International African Library)
- Cyber Racism: White Supremacy Online and the New Attack on Civil Rights (Perspectives on a Multiracial America)
- Domestic Homicides and Death Reviews: An International Perspective
- Women, War, and Violence: Topography, Resistance, and Hope [2 volumes]: Topography, Resistance, and Hope (Praeger Security International)
Additional resources for Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History
Cruel Creeds, Virtuous Violence: Religious Violence Across Culture and History by Jack David Eller